Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Click, Click, Click......

“Look, Mommy! When you click here you can change the color of her fingernail polish just like that!” I was watching my toddler, Gracie, play around on a nail art app. Each time she clicked on a different color nail polish bottle the color instantly changed on the model’s hands.
 
Clicking a mouse to change things on our computer screen is so simple. If only real life were the same! Many times I look at my circumstances and wish I had a special mouse so I could click and change everything I don’t like. But life’s not like that. While there’s much I can change, there’s much more I can’t.Whenever I focus on all I can’t revise, my heart often feels defeated. There are people I can’t change, finances I can’t control, and circumstances that leave my heart feeling shattered. If only I could recolor bad attitudes or rewrite difficult experiences, then I’d feel better. Right?
 
Wrong.
 
I’ve discovered that changing other people or circumstances isn’t really a fix for troubling situations because it isn’t something I can make happen. I can’t control other’s behavior, only mine. Therefore, when circumstances and people stay the same, my attitude towards them and my perspective can change. So......what can bring about this transformation?

God’s Word.

It can snap me back to attention, soften my heart and help me view my life through a different and God-honoring lens. It can align my heart and actions with God’s so I don’t do or say things today I will regret tomorrow. As Hebrews 4:12 states, it helps to expose, sift, analyze and judge the very thoughts and purposes of my heart. In a very practical way, God’s Word makes it all click and that clicking makes me change.


No comments: