Sunday, November 1, 2020

His Eye Is on the Sparrow

For a couple of weeks, I have had a weird interest in sparrows because of how the scripture has variously referred to us as sparrows, particularly Matthew 10:31. It states that my value is worth more than sparrows. Why would God refer to me as a sparrow?

For the last two weeks, I have bird watched and found myself listening to their sounds. Don't judge me, lol. This morning, I took to Google to start researching sparrows. I found some interesting facts in my observations. First and foremost, I have been around sparrows my ENTIRE life and I have rarely given them much attention. I only noticed them if they invaded my space. I never noticed how frequently they fly in my close surroundings or how beautiful they sing in the mornings. I'm sure you can attest to how unseen and unvalued sparrows are to your daily life. Yet God sees sparrows. And I come to tell you, He see you. No matter how unseen, undervalued, unloved, forgotten, looked over or displaced you feel, God sees you and loves you. Many of you that know me personally, know that I use to kill "His Eye is On the Sparrow" in many churches growing up. There main chorus of that song said "His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me". I sang that song passionately because I understood that God watched over me. However, this week, I have a new found passion for those wonderful lyrics. 

One thing in particular, that stood out to me, in my research was the sparrow's singing. The male sparrow uses his song to attract a mate. Laboratory studies have shown that the female sparrow is attracted not just to the song itself, but to how well it reflects the ability of the male to learn. Males that used more learned components in their songs and that better matched their song tutors (the adult bird they learned their songs from) were preferred. In other words, a bird that could learn and obtain the attributes of its teacher was preferred. This floored me!! A bird has enough sense to prefer a male that is connected to its leader!! To me this meant a male that's connected to God and submitted to a leader is preferred choice. Why can't we get it? That's soooooo not what this post is about but I just had to share that interesting fact.

Nevertheless, whenever I see a sparrow from now on, it'll be God saying to me - "Look at me, child. You are beautiful and wanted". So today I say to you, reading this, I don't know you're name, but God does. And today He saying, "Look at me child. You are beautiful and you are wanted".

No comments: